A Gorgonzola Steak for my Cabernet

We all love a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon every now and then… In my case, I suppose that is somewhat of an understatement!

I find it one of life’s true pleasures to open a great bottle of Cab to accompany some good eats.

Recently the good eats consisted of a pair of New York steaks that I had picked up from the butcher on Saturday morning, with the intent of pairing them with a specific Cabernet from the cellar that was calling my name. (Don’t worry, the wine wasn’t really talking to me…)

However, as this was a “special” bottle, I wanted to kick the steaks up a bit. I decided to grill them over charcoal and top with a gorgonzola sauce. I did do a light marinade on the steaks about 6 hours beforehand: about 1/3 cup olive oil, a few shakes of soy sauce, 4 cloves pressed garlic, a sprig of chopped fresh rosemary, a few pinches of Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Here are the particulars for the cheese sauce – all measurements are approximate, so feel free to add-lib…

Sauce

1 shallot – diced
1 ½ cup dry white wine
½ cup heavy cream
1/8 cup Parmesan – grated
6 oz Gorgonzola – crumbled
1 pinch nutmeg
1 dash white pepper

Sauté shallot in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add white wine and reduce by half. Add cream and simmer. Add cheeses, nutmeg and pepper. Simmer and wisk to desired consistency. Grill the steaks to the preferred doneness, top with cheese sauce and dig in! I paired this with twice baked potatoes and a fresh arugula salad.

Give the sauce a try and let me know what you think. And don’t forget the Cabernet..!