8/4/09

White Linen – Handcrafted Cocktail for Summer

Hello everyone..! The Connoisseur is back again and I hear you are thirsty…which seems to happen quite a bit in the summer heat…or the winter chill…or..?

I have touched in the past on a few excellent summertime libations: The Caipirinha, Pimm’s Cup, Mint Julep, various Margaritas and more. Today I have yet another cocktail for you, this one in the “handcrafted” category. Handcrafted is rather a bar buzzword at the moment, generally referring to a cocktail that employs ingredients not from a bottle. Fruits, vegetables, herbs and the like can all be part of the mixology, infused, muddled or otherwise.

As far as I can tell, the White Linen cocktail originated at Ella Dining Room and Bar in Sacramento, California. A very kind bartender was gracious enough to supply the particulars. Give it a try and let me know what you think, and if you are ever in central California, be sure to stop by Ella’s and sample chef Randall Selland’s work – highly recommended!

White Linen

· 1 ½ oz gin – the bartender recommended Broker’s Dry Gin.
· ½ oz St. Germain Elderflower Liquor
· ½ oz Simple Syrup
· 1 oz Lemon Juice
· 5-6 thin slices English cucumber

Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake well. Strain into a highball glass with ice, top with soda water and garnish with a cucumber.

8 comments :

Yes! I had this at the Shady Lady bar (who also claimed origin of the drink) in Sac, and fell in love with it. It tastes like sunshine. Anyway, I got the recipe on my phone, and then a week or so later lost my phone. This was one of the things I was most disappointed about losing. Thank you...

Glad to be of help..! It is interesting, as now with your comment regarding the Shady Lady, I have about a half dozen bartenders in Norcal laying claim to being "the creator" of this cocktail. Always entertaining...
Cheers,
Marty

As the owner of the Shady Lady I can tell you the exact origin of the cocktail. It was created by Rene Dominguez, who has worked at both Ella and the Shady Lady. He created it a couple of years ago during Midtown Cocktail Week.

How funny I just stumbled on this because we are featuring the White Linen at Ella this week as our special, and I can confirm what Shady Lady said. Rene Dominguez created the cocktail and he has worked at both establishments. He has also worked in San Francisco since that Midtown Cocktail week a couple years ago, so the White Linen has gotten around. He's back in Sac now. Wherever you have it, enjoy! It's delicious.

The white linen drink and the shady lady are both my favorites! My cousin and his wife were here in Sacramento visting from Manahatten and I introduced them to both and they loved both!!! The white linen is my summer drink I love it!!!

Fucking B!!! (it has more holes!) but really the drink is amazing....and as a bartender, i love making it....kudos to THE creator!!!!

This comment has been removed by the author.

... and I highly recommend using Hendrick's gin, which they use at Our House in Davis. I think they put some crushed fresh mint in, too. yum...