Quick Dip for Pot Stickers

On a recent evening my wife was scheduled to return home rather late from a day of work. Too late for a large dinner, but I felt a nice small plate would be a relaxing end to the day. In a fit of laziness I purchased a handful of pork pot stickers from a local gourmet grocery and stored them in the safe confines of the refrigerator. We had tried these in the past and were very pleased with the quality.

Later that evening as I was selecting a wine accompaniment, I realized in horror that I had no dipping sauce for the pot stickers. It was time to raid the pantry and ice box and see what I could find. What follows was the kitchen quick fix…

Pot Sticker Dipping Sauce

· ¼ cup soy sauce
· ⅛ cup champagne vinegar
· 1 clove garlic – finely chopped
· 1 green onion – chopped
· Pinch of sugar
· Dash of red pepper flakes

Whisk together and serve.

A couple of thoughts on this: You can certainly use white wine vinegar in place of the champagne. Also, an obvious addition would be some fresh ginger, but alas, none was present in my refrigerator at the time. Chives in place of green onion? Certainly.

As for the wine pairing, I pulled a bottle of Eroica Riesling Dr. Loosen from Chateau St. Michelle. One of the better American examples of the varietal and what turned out to be a phenomenal match with the dim sum.

Enjoy!